Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Punk'd

Joe got punk'd today, as in one puncture after another. Before today, he had already had a single and a double, and today he hit a grand slam! Actually, by my count it was five, but the point is, he got punk'd. Bad!

Except for all the tire drama, the day went fairly well. For the first time since Vancouver (it seems), we awoke to blue skies. We even got a relatively early start, hitting the road at 8:30. By the time we stopped for breakfast, we had already covered 30 miles. Unfortunately, that's when all the pop-a-pop-pop started.

No matter. We stayed with Joe to make sure he was OK, and finally got rolling again.

Unlike all the other days, we ended up riding separately today. I had no desire to try yet again to keep up with Home Slice (Jody), especially considering how I strained my right hammy doing so (it's still pretty tender), so I decided to ride at my pace. Funny enough, I even caught up to Jody at Garberville (but don't tell him I said that). I was so desperate to get his attention when he came into sight that I yelled "Homes Slice! Home Slice!" over and over, with a "Jody! Jody!" or two thrown in for good measure. (The Boys are ticking in again and here I am typing away still on this puny keyboard...) Luckily, he eventually heard me, so I had a riding partner again. But that didn't last long. (Joe Also caught up when we made a pit stop.)

So for the most part, Jody led the way (for once!), followed by me and Joe.

I really enjoyed riding at my own pace. I saved my legs and wasn't really that far behind Gordon Ramsay...

Dinner here in Laytonville really sucked. The service was slow, the food overpriced, and the portions small. Furthermore, the place was full of druggies. It was the only restaurant in town, though. After dinner, we stocked up on calories (food) at the local supermarket, checked in to our hotel, and stuffed our faces. (Check out all the junk food in that picture. Jody ate 3/4 of it!) Joe did some wheel maintenance, we all took showers, and now it's time to say good night!

Tomorrow we are heading to Santa Rosa, another 100 miles down the road to TJ. We expect rain, but are hoping for the best. We're more than half-way there, but still riding one day at a time.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow, because I get to see my cousin Rivka and maybe even my father.

It will be hard to keep cycling, knowing I'm essentially home, but I'm all in, so onwards ho!

Good Night from Day 8,
Your White Bread
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4



2 comments: