Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Long, Long, Long Day!

(Posted by Yama)

I wanted to post this story yesterday, but we didn't have access to a keyboard (other than the one on Jody's sweet smartphone), so it had to wait until now. Also, it's not the easiest thing to blog after a really long day of riding. Sorry folks!

Anyway, yesterday we rode all the way from the Lake Crescent Lodge down to Aberdeen, which was just under 150 miles (240 km)! My previous best for one day was more like 185 km, so I'm really happy that I made it. Tom also broke his record for longest ride, by about 35 miles.

As for me, well, early in the day, I wasn't so sure I would make it, because the hours were ticking by faster than my odometer was rolling over... I also rode by myself for several hours, so I had to keep myself motivated and focused. I had some ups and downs, but I made it, which is a really nice feeling!

The day started for us at around 8:00 a.m. We stopped for breakfast at about 9:30 and hit the road again about an hour later.

Luckily, we had another day of great weather to ride in, but like I said, it was a long, long, long day.

There were two minor incidents today: 1) Both Joe and Jody hat flats, our first two of the ride (and hopefully the last), 2) and we had a communication problem which led to Tom riding on ahead by himself and Jody taking off behind him trying to catch him, but otherwise it was a good day or riding.

Joe and I pulled into town last at about 8 p.m. and we headed over to the couchsurfer's pad where we were staying. Because we arrived at different times, we all grabbed dinner separately. In case you're wondering: Jody at at Subway, Tom and (later) Joe both ate at Jack 'n The Box, and I ate at a local dive (but I can't remember the name)...

We hung out with the couchsurfer after he got home and didn't get to bed until about midnight.

(I'm really tired, so apologies also if there are any typos and that I'm keeping this really short.)

No comments:

Post a Comment