Friday, October 15, 2010

The Bikes are Here!

(Posted by Yama)

This morning I made it to Seattle. I arrived at about 9:15 a.m. local time, which is 1:15 a.m. the next day (Saturday) in Japan, where I flew from. I slept as much as I could on the plane, so I think I'll get over jet lag quickly, however.

I'm also glad to report that ANA indeed let me check my bike in as a piece of luggage (yeah!), so I didn't have to pay extra to send her over. (Yo United: What's the deal with charging people $200 to fly a bike overseas, especially when the bike is one's only checked luggage? Not cool!)

My bike made it safe and sound along with me and I was able to put her back together in no time. Luckily, as far as I can tell, none of the parts got lost in transit!

My bike was the third to arrive. Joe's bike (the new used bike he bought on eBay) as well as Jody's were here when I arrived, and Tom's arrived later in the day. Hopefully, when those two guys get here, they'll also be able to set their bikes up in a jiffy, go for a short test ride, and be good to go.

Today was mostly just a really nice, relaxing day and a fantastic start to my first day back in the USA in two years. We're staying at Joe's sister Sue's place, which is a great house in a picturesque neighborhood. Sue cooked all of us a delicious moose(!) dinner, with couscous and green beans, and we also had brownies for dessert. I've been here less than a day and I'm already being spoiled! You gotta love it!

It's only about 50 degrees (Fahrenheit) here, but it's not really that bad and Joe insists it's warmer just a bit farther south, so I'm not too concerned about the weather at the moment.

Anyway, like I said, it's great to be back in the USA, I'm slowly getting settled in, and the ride start date is quickly approaching.

Tomorrow Joe and I plan to take our bikes for a spin and head into downtown Seattle, since this is my first time here.

Jody arrives on Sunday and Tom, the final piece of the puzzle, arrives on Monday.

I'm looking forward to finally meeting you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment