Friday, October 22, 2010

My Name Isn't Jody

(From now on, all posts by Yama unless otherwise specified.)

I'm beat. We rode from Cannon Beach, Oregon down to Newport, Oregon. We "only" went about 115 miles, but we arrived at night and it was windy... Anyway, Tom and I rode all day together, which was really nice. Jody, the human machine on wheels, made it first, of course, followed by Joe, and then us...

We escaped the rain, but tomorrow looks bad, especially due to high wind advisories, possibly up to 50 or even 75 mph! Not sure what to expect.

Had a funny time at dinner, at a pizzeria called Abby's Legendary Pizza. We originally ordered two 16" pizzas, but the guy we ordered from thought we were crazy and suggested we order just one. We gobbled that one up in 2 minutes, though, so we had to order another one... The guy felt bad and so he gave us $3 off that second order. By the way, the pizza was anything but legendary, but perhaps that's because it was hard for us to taste it. When you're that hungry, all you want to do is eat as soon as the food arrives, you know? You're not really interested in flavor.

Another crazy part of dinner was Joe and his salad. You see, you could either pay x amount of dollars for a salad or z amount of dollars for unlimited trips to the salad bar. Joe figured he'd save a couple bucks by mega-overloading his plate of salad rather than making several trips and paying more. You should have seen what he did: He put his salad plate on a tray so that he could pile up as much as possible without anything falling on the ground. Needless to say, the guy at the register gave Joe a dirty look or two. Too bad I left the camera in the hotel room... A picture of that salad would have been priceless!

We also talked about Jody's cool phone that does everything, so I suggested he download the "Pimp My Weather" app, so that we can just move bad weather left or right, up or down, accordingly... Lots of funny stuff like that tonight, but most of that was "you had to be there" moments.

What else? We're hoping to boogie outta here at 8:00 (after chowing down on the free "continental breakfast," trying to make it all the way to Brookings, down by the border, tomorrow. That's about 150 miles. I'm not looking forward to it. Naturally, at night, I'm always exhausted, but by morning, I'm usually OK. But still, this is tough! If the weather were great, that would make a big difference, but it's not. I gotta get Jody to download that app...

Oh yeah... We're at a hotel tonight, the Rodeway Inn (no typo!). A couchsurfer was going to host us, but it didn't work out. No harm done.

We had a great night last night with our couchsurfing host Sarah in Cannon Beach...

We talked a lot about calories burned during the ride and supposedly, I'm burning about 500 an hour, which means I'm eating WAY too little... Pass the food. Jody, on the other hand, rides in his sleep, so he only eats once before a ride, once during, and once at the end. The guy is more of a madman on wheels than I imagined. Chapeau, Jody!

I guess that's it. I wanted to post pix but I'm too tired. I want to post only pix one day (plus captions), but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance. This ain't easy folks. Well, for anyone not named Jody, that is.

I can hardly believe I've made it this far and can only hope to make the next destination. Tijuana is so far away, I can't even think about that yet, but I am sneaking a peak at the calendar, since it'd be great if I could see my cousin Rivka in Tomales on the 26th.

Good night! And wish me (or us?) luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment