Saturday, November 6, 2010

More Pix, Days 1 & 2: Vancouver - Lake Crescent - Aberdeen














This is the exact spot where my ride started, just outside the Amtrak station in Vancouver, BC.














Signs played a big role during the ride, so I plan to write a separate post about that. I'll leave this picture here, though. It shows the first sign I saw with the word "Tsawwassen" on it and was therefore a big relief for me, since I had to find my own way from Vancouver to the ferry, and I had to make it there in time to catch the 11:00 ferry. I was pretty sure I was making good headway, but as soon as I saw this sign, I knew I'd make it, so I let out a big "woo hoo!" I guess you could say that was the first of many such exhilarating moments during the ride.














Here's the beautiful view from the ferry, on the way to Swartz Bay. (CAD 13.75 + 2.00 for the bike.)














We hung out in Victoria, BC, for just a little while before we jumped on the ferry to Port Angeles, Washington. Here's a shot of the Parliament buildings.














Here is one of the few pictures I have of all four of us (Jody, me, Joe, and Tom), on the ferry, just as we are departing from Victoria, B.C., on the way to Port Angeles, Washington.














One of my first breakfasts on the road, this one eaten at the Hungry Bear Cafe, a bit past Lake Crescent.














If that "105" had been in kilometers, which is what you see on the signs in Japan, that wouldn't have been too bad. One problem was, this was America, so that's 105 miles to destination #2, Aberdeen, Washington. The other problem: it was already 11:23 a.m.














Here's one of the first views of the Pacific Ocean that I got while we were in Washington.














The truck shown here is heading in the opposite direction, but we also had tons of such trucks zooming right by us in northern Washington, with very little room to spare. This picture simply doesn't do justice to the constant danger that we were facing out there on the road, so I'll ask you to use your imagination. Also, take a closer look at what we had to ride on for hours and hours and hours: chip seal. Not pleasant. Trucks and chip seal: just two of the many reasons why the ride was anything but a cakewalk.














My "bed" for the night in Aberdeen. No complaints on my part, though, since it was free! (Thank you, Stephen.)











 
My dinner at "Billy's" in Aberdeen, a 1/2 pound yak patty melt. This was the night I ate alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment