Saturday, November 27, 2010

More Pix, Day 14: Brentwood - La Jolla















Here is yet another morning shot of the three of us just prior to departure, this time from Brentwood. It's 8:35 a.m and the sun is shining brightly, but it's just a wee bit cold, so we are all wearing extra layers here and there. The other thing we all have in common is nice smiles, which are a lot easier to manage in the mornings than in the evenings...














As far as I'm concerned, one of my absolute favorite parts of the ride was when we rode alongside the beaches in Santa Monica. (Note how, a mere thirty minutes after we left our friends' house, I've already ditched my cold weather gear.) I'm kind of at a loss for words trying to describe the feeling I was experiencing at the time. I mean, check it out, there I am, just mere feet from the bike path and I'm standing in sand. Yes, sand. I'm on a beach! See that look of satisfaction on my face? Oh, yeah!














Check out the sunshine!













The view looking back toward Santa Monica.













We pulled over for lunch at high noon, and lookie there. My odometer just hit a nice, big number: 2500 kilometers!














In case you were wondering what lunch was: Fajitas! There was so much food, I think that was the first time on the ride that I actually had trouble finishing lunch. (That's my fish and plate of sides in the foreground.)














I guarantee that all the hours of riding along the beautiful beaches in southern California made me think: "Why the heck didn't I just fly here on October 15 instead of flying to Seattle to start a crazy bike ride? What is my problem? I'm wasting my vacation sitting on my bike saddle when I could be sitting on a beach..."













In Japan, I definitely don't see houses like this ...











cars like this ...














or sunsets like this.

I think the fact that I don't have too much to say here about Day 14 in itself says quite a lot. The day was simply too good to be true: filled with amazing weather, mouthwatering food, and fabulous views. Oh, and where we finally stopped for the night was just a hop, skip, and a jump from Tijuana. It might have been dark out, but we certainly could see the light at the end of the tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment