Monday, November 1, 2010

All Is Well Again!

That past two days of riding have been much easier than what has normally been the case for us.

For one, the weather has been great down here in southern California. Yesterday, for instance, we stopped for lunch in Pismo Beach, and saw plenty of surfers, palm trees, and people wearing shorts and sunglasses. For the first time during the ride, I even took off both my arm warmers and my leg warmers!

For two, we didn't have any flats yesterday or today. Hooray! I guess one reason for that is that we haven't been riding on too many roads which have tons of crap along the shoulder, as was the case earlier in the ride. Believe me, that makes a huge difference!

For three, well, knowing we're this close to Tijuana makes riding a bit easier.

Nevertheless, I'm still taking things one day at a time. I've been struggling a bit in the mornings these past two days, so I've had a hard time keeping up with Joe and Jody. In other words, I've been riding solo quite a bit lately. Luckily, however, my afternoons seem to go well, so I generally catch up to the other two toward the end of the day.

Nothing too exciting has been going on these past two days.

Yesterday, we finally had another "easy" day of just over 100 miles. We pulled in to our hotel in Buellton at about 6:30 p.m., which made for a lot less riding than the two previous days. After getting cleaned up, we went over to Pea Soup Andersen's and absolutely pigged out. We really overdid it, especially by ordering the gigantic brownie dessert, whatever it was called. We ate so much that we all suffered from a food coma after dinner.

Today was yet another beautiful day, perhaps the nicest yet. It started off a tad bit cold, but quickly warmed up. We had one big climb to get to Santa Barbara, and several smaller ones in the Malibu area, but most of the riding was relatively flat, and we had the advantage of  riding with a tailwind, rather than a headwind, for quite a long time. For whatever reason, I left my leg warmers on all day, but I certainly could have taken them off.

Tonight we're staying with friends of Jody's, so we were able to do the laundry again, and I have access to a laptop for writing this blog. Yeah!

Tomorrow we are off to Oceanside, if all goes well, and then on Tuesday we plan to finish the trip.

As an added bonus, Jody's girlfriend is probably going to meet us somewhere tomorrow, so for the last part of the ride tomorrow and/or the ride on Tuesday, we should have a support vehicle, which means we can all lighten our loads. We don't have much with us, but still, every ounce we can get rid of will make riding that much more enjoyable!

Anyway, Happy Halloween and here's to another great day of riding for tomorrow!

1 comment: