Saturday, December 4, 2010

Stat My Ride -- Days 1-5

As I have already mentioned in several posts, we were lucky that Jody brought along his mega-cool, "it-does-it-all-except-give-massages-and-cook-dinner" smartphone.

What I have yet to mention was that Speedy Gonzalez also brought along his Garmin Edge 500, a blinged-out cycling computer that tells you not only the usual stats, such as time in the saddle, distance covered, and average speed, but also such numbers as elevation gain and loss, minimum and maximum temperature, and, one of my favorites, calories burned. (If you ask me, it can actually power a bicycle too. How else could Jody be so good on a bike?)

One reader actually suggested a while back that I post such stats as part of my (almost-) daily updates. I thought about doing that, but I was having enough trouble as it was posting anything at all (see my previous post for some clarification) that I wasn't really in the mood to add all that statistical stuff. Until now, that is.

I could just give you a link to all of the information (that Jody gave me), but that would take away my fun.

So here you have it, with a note or two here and there.

Again, keep in mind that the stats are all according to Jody's device, which we are using as the standard, since he was our standard-bearer.

(To answer your question: "No, Home Slice does not pay me to write all those nice things about him. The main reason I compliment him so much is because I am still waiting for the King Size Nutrageous [a.k.a. Calorie Bombastic!] Bar I asked him to send me. Once I get that, the accolades are over! Just don't tell him that!)








Day 1

Distance: 71.71 miles (115.40 km)
Elapsed Time: 12:35:14*
Time in Saddle: 4:45:45**
Average Speed: 15.1 mph
Calories Burned: 4244***
Elevation Gain: 2805 feet****
Max Elevation: 780 feet
Average Temp: 53.8 F*****

*Elapsed Time is not necessarily accurate for many of the days, especially later in the ride, since Jody regularly turned the Garmin off in order to save batteries. Therefore, please think of Elapsed Time as Minimum Elapsed Time.

**The huge discrepancy between Elapsed Time and Time in Saddle for Day 1 was mostly due to the fact that a great part of the day was spent waiting for and riding on two ferries.

***Calories Burned is based on such factors as Jody's weight, the weight of his bike, and his estimated degree of effort for that particular day. Obviously, that number will vary considerably from rider to rider, but Jody's digits will give you a ballpark figure to go by.

****Elevation Gain has been added to the stats at Tom and Jody's request.

*****Italics indicate a low for the entire ride.

Day 2

Distance: 145.73 miles (234.53 km)*
Elapsed Time: 13:27:21
Time in Saddle: 8:36:03
Average Speed: 16.9 mph
Calories Burned: 8399
Elevation Gain: 4383 feet
Max Elevation: 1146 feet
Average Temp: 59.6 F

*Bold face indicates a high for the entire ride. (The distance we covered that day is also my PR.)

You can see that Jody was really tearing it up on this day, which obviously caused him to burn quite a few calories. Can you imagine what I was thinking, seeing him ride that fast, knowing that that was only Day 2 of 15? And imagine what he was thinking about me, lagging pretty far behind. Luckily, I proved him wrong.

Day 3

Distance: 106.16 miles (170.85 km)
Elapsed Time: 11:34:29
Time in Saddle: 7:40:58
Average Speed: 13.8 mph
Calories Burned: 5603
Elevation Gain: 4173 feet
Max Elevation: 470 feet
Average Temp: 57.5 F

Day 4

Distance: 110.11 miles (177.20 km)
Elapsed Time: 11:14:47
Time in Saddle: 7:32:24
Average Speed: 14.6 mph
Calories Burned: 6075
Elevation Gain: 5108 feet
Max Elevation: 759 feet
Average Temp: 59.8 F

Day 5

Distance: 97.19 miles (156.41 km)
Elapsed Time: 10:07:34
Time in Saddle: 6:55:07
Average Speed: 14.0 mph
Calories Burned: 5157
Elevation Gain: 4291 feet
Max Elevation: 453 feet
Average Temp: 56.3 F

1 comment:

  1. Yo White Rice, You need to include Total Elevation gain to these stats. Jody's super awesome GPS captured that, right?

    ReplyDelete